Skip to main content

'You're A Gujarati, Do Business': Ex-Selector's Advice Left Parthiv Stunned

In a country like India, where cricket academies and teams abound in every corner, getting a chance in the national team requires more than just hard work. There are several instances of talented players failing to earn a place in the national side because of the abundance of options available to the BCCI selectors. Parthiv Patel is one such player. He made his international debut at the age of 17 years and 152 days in 2002. However, his international career saw him being dropped on several occasions for long periods. The emergence of MS Dhoni saw him lose his place in the team. Patel made a comeback in 2008 against Sri Lanka but was dropped again. Then, during the 2009-10 season, Parthiv said he was in peak form in domestic cricket, but when he asked a national selector in 2010 about his prospects, he got a shocking reply. Patel said he first had a discussion with then-chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar. The India great told him to keep working hard. Then, after a new selection panel...

'You're A Gujarati, Do Business': Ex-Selector's Advice Left Parthiv Stunned

In a country like India, where cricket academies and teams abound in every corner, getting a chance in the national team requires more than just hard work. There are several instances of talented players failing to earn a place in the national side because of the abundance of options available to the BCCI selectors. Parthiv Patel is one such player. He made his international debut at the age of 17 years and 152 days in 2002. However, his international career saw him being dropped on several occasions for long periods. The emergence of MS Dhoni saw him lose his place in the team. Patel made a comeback in 2008 against Sri Lanka but was dropped again. Then, during the 2009-10 season, Parthiv said he was in peak form in domestic cricket, but when he asked a national selector in 2010 about his prospects, he got a shocking reply.

Patel said he first had a discussion with then-chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar. The India great told him to keep working hard. Then, after a new selection panel came in, he spoke to another selector.

"At that time, I didn't feel aggrieved because I knew my performance wasn't good enough when I got dropped. The team had lost a series in India after a long time. But in the subsequent years, there came a phase when I felt, 'What more can I do than this?' That was when I scored 500 runs across five consecutive innings in First-Class cricket. It's actually an Indian record. Till date, no batter in First-Class cricket in India, whether it's Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, or Sunil Gavaskar, has scored 500 runs in five consecutive innings," Parthiv told Aakash Chopra on the latter's YouTube channel.

"When the selection for the Australia tour was happening, I called selector Dilip Vengsarkar and asked him about my chances. He told me, 'It's unfortunate, keep working hard.' But by 2011, after consistently scoring 700-800 runs every season, the selection committee had changed. I called the new selector from the West Zone to ask about my prospects, and I received a shocking piece of advice.

"He said: 'You are 27-28 years old, you are a Gujarati. Think about whether you can do some business or not.' I told him directly, 'If you don't want to select me, don't. But you cannot discourage someone like this. Fine, this is your thinking, but you have two years left in your tenure. I challenge you that within those two years, I will make a comeback,'" Parthiv added.

He did make a comeback but did not get a long rope.

Parthiv added that he was not in competition with Dhoni.

"I was never in competition with MS Dhoni because he was on a different level. The competition was only for the second keeper's slot. You weren't even talking about the first keeper's spot because of his performances, his stature as a player, and his captaincy. The only question was when he would take a rest so that I'd get to play, or when I'd get the opportunity to go on a tour. But at some point, I realised that we are playing cricket whether it's for India, Gujarat, West Zone, or club cricket. My intensity shouldn't drop, regardless of the level I'm playing at. It couldn't be that I played Ranji Trophy cricket at 50-60% intensity and then suddenly got to play a Test match without knowing the pace of the game. My preparation always had to be as if I was playing for India. Whenever I got the chance, I had to be ready," Parthiv stated.



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/FbExnpI

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q1 Results Updates: Waaree Renewables Profit Up 34%; NTPC Green Profit Rises 38%

Q1 Results Today Live Updates: Hello and welcome to NDTV Profit's live coverage of Q1 earnings on July 22, 2026! Stay tuned to our live blog as we bring you all major updates on April-June quarter earnings for the current fiscal (Q1FY27) and company announcements throughout the day. Several majors such as Adani Green, BPCL, IndusInd Bank, Dr Reddy's, JSW Energy, Nestlé India and others are in focus today as the companies will reveal their Q1 scorecards. At least 60+ companies are scheduled to report their earnings on Tuesday. Following the results, companies will hold earnings calls with investors and analysts to discuss their performance and future plans. Watch this space for all the action from India Inc earnings reports. Stay tuned to NDTV Profit for all back-to-back live updates of Q1 Results and company announcements on Wednesday, July 22, 2026. from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/vYQNVDx

युवाओं ने निकाली कौमी एकता रैली, डेंगू मुक्त भिलाई बनाने का लिया संकल्प

छत्तीसगढ़ के दुर्ग जिले के वैशालीनगर विधान सभा क्षेत्र में स्वतंत्रता दिवस के उपलक्ष्य में कौमी एकता रैली का आयोजन किया गया. from Latest News छत्तीसगढ़ News18 हिंदी https://ift.tt/2wbsTPZ

Trump Administration Launches App To Allow Immigrants In US To "Self Deport"

The Trump administration rolled out a new app on Monday that will allow immigrants in the United States illegally to "self deport" rather than face possible arrest and detention, building on President Donald Trump's deportation push. The US Customs and Border Protection app, called CBP Home, will offer an option for someone to signal their "intent to depart," the agency said. "The CBP Home app gives aliens the option to leave now and self-deport, so they may still have the opportunity to return legally in the future and live the American dream," Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement. "If they don't, we will find them, we will deport them, and they will never return." Trump, a Republican, has vowed to deport record numbers of migrants in the US illegally. Trump's initial deportation numbers lagged the monthly average in fiscal year 2024 under Democrat Joe Biden, although Biden's deportations included many r...