Skip to main content

H-1B Visa Applications Drop 38%. Trump Administration Says Days Of Abuse Over

The Donald Trump administration on Thursday said applications for H-1B visas had dropped significantly this year after major changes were introduced to the work visa selection process. Calling it a crackdown on misuse of the system, the administration said "the days of abusing the programme with mass, low-wage registrations are over." Data released by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showed that properly submitted H-1B registrations fell by 38.5 per cent compared to last year, from 343,981 in fiscal year 2026 to 211,600 for fiscal year 2027. The H-1B visa programme, widely used by Indian professionals seeking jobs in the United States, has come under tighter scrutiny in recent years. The White House had earlier rolled out stricter wage requirements and raised application fees, saying the aim was to curb widespread abuse of the system. This year's H-1B season is wrapping up, and we're seeing great results from @POTUS ' new policies that pr...

Girl Stabbed To Death On Way To School In Latest Knife Attack In London

London police said they had arrested a teenager after a 15-year-old girl was stabbed to death on her way to school on Wednesday, stoking fresh concern about the scale of knife crime in the UK.

Emergency services including an air ambulance were called to the scene in Croydon, south London, at around 8.30 am (0730 GMT) following reports of a stabbing.

Paramedics battled to save the girl but she was pronounced dead at the scene 50 minutes later, police said, adding that a 17-year-old boy was later arrested.

London mayor Sadiq Khan said he was "heartbroken" by the fatal incident and pledged to "continue working day and night to end the scourge of knife crime in our city".  

According to official figures, 99 people under the age of 25 were killed in England and Wales with a knife or sharp object in the year to March 2023. Of those 13 were under the age of 16.

The deaths were among 50,000 stabbing incidents in the year to March 2023, a five percent increase on the previous year and a 75 percent increase on a decade ago, the figures from the Office for National Statistics showed. 

Police said the suspect in custody was being questioned by detectives.

"Our immediate thoughts are with this young girl's family who are facing the most tragic of news. Our officers are with the girl's family to support them," said Chief Superintendent Andy Brittain of the Metropolitan Police.

Victor Azare, a 50-year-old security guard on his way home after a night shift, said he and others chased a boy in a school blazer after seeing him stab the girl in the neck with a knife that was "black, thin, and about a foot (30 centimeters) long".

"We tried to catch him and a lot of people tried to save the girl. I was so shocked, I was shaken. It's somebody's daughter," he told British media.

Media reports said the girl had just got off a bus at the time and appeared to have been having an argument with a boy who then attacked her.

The girl, whose identity has not yet been released, was a pupil at Old Palace of John Whitgift School, a private girls' school in Croydon.

"We are deeply shocked by the senseless and tragic death of our much-loved and valued friend and pupil," the school said in a statement.

"It will take some time for the Old Palace community to come to terms with this terrible news.

"Above all, we send our love and deepest sympathies to the girl's family at this unimaginably distressing time," it added.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/pwh9t7O

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

युवाओं ने निकाली कौमी एकता रैली, डेंगू मुक्त भिलाई बनाने का लिया संकल्प

छत्तीसगढ़ के दुर्ग जिले के वैशालीनगर विधान सभा क्षेत्र में स्वतंत्रता दिवस के उपलक्ष्य में कौमी एकता रैली का आयोजन किया गया. from Latest News छत्तीसगढ़ News18 हिंदी https://ift.tt/2wbsTPZ

करीब दो लाख फंसे हुए आप्रवासियों को 2014 से अब तक वापस लाया गया : स्वराज

नागपुर, 27 नवंबर (भाषा) विदेश मंत्री सुषमा स्वराज ने मंगलवार को कहा कि पिछले साढ़े चार साल में विदेशों में फंसे करीब दो लाख प्रवासियों को वापस भारत लाया गया। स्वराज के मुताबिक नरेंद्र मोदी सरकार ने अपनी विदेश नीतियों में राष्ट्र हितों को प्राथमिकता दी है और भारत ने अन्य देशों के साथ अच्छे संबंध बनाए रखे जबकि कुछ देशों के आपस में रिश्ते तनावपूर्ण थे। स्वराज राष्ट्रीय स्वयंसेवक संघ (आरएसएस) की महिला शाखा राष्ट्रीय सेविका समिति से संबद्ध श्री शक्ति पीठ द्वारा आयोजित एक कार्यक्रम में बोल रही थीं। उन्होंने कहा, “इससे पहले कई विदेश मंत्री रहे from Maharashtra महाराष्ट्र News, Maharashtra News in Hindi, महाराष्ट्र समाचार, खबरें| https://ift.tt/2FHIfDR

Student Of The Year 2 Box Office: थकने लगे स्टूडेंट्स, दूसरे वीकेंड में बस इतनी कमाई

SOTY 2 Day 10 Box Office Collection SOTY 2 पर अजय देवगन की फ़िल्म दे दे प्यार दे की रिलीज़ से काफ़ी असर पड़ा है जिसने ओपनिंग वीकेंड में 38.54 करोड़ का कलेक्शन किया है। from Jagran Hindi News - entertainment:box-office http://bit.ly/2LXaHEJ